The first of Grandhotel Pupp buildings was the Saxony Hall, which was built by the order of the then Lord Mayor Deiml in 1701. In doing so, the Mayor of Deiml laid out the base outline for the later hotel constructions.
At the time when the glory of the Saxony Hall began to rise, another Lord Mayor, Mr. Andreas Becher, began to govern the Carlsbad town hall. He also owned a piece of floodplain at the river bend,� and he wanted to have his own so called “Lusthaus.” That is why he built it at a right angle to the Saxony Hall, approximately in the place of the current Mirror Hall and the Grandrestaurant Pupp. Right from the beginning, they began to call it the Czech Hall, separating it from the Deiml Hall.
In 1760, a native of Veltrusy, Jan Jiří Pop, who previously worked as a confectioner to Count Rudolf Chotek, came to Carlsbad. Here, he took a job with the local confectioner Mitterbach. In 1775, he married Mitterbach’s daughter, Františka, who bought one-third of the Czech Hall from the widow of Mayor Becher. In the following year, Františka bought the second piece, and in 1776, her husband, who by this time already called himself "Johann Georg Pupp," bought the last third. In the same year, he also started his own business.
Throughout the 19th century, the business grew significantly, and in 1890, the Pupp family, now represented by the brothers Anthony, Julius, and Heinrich, achieved the ownership of the original Saxony Hall. In this year, the family also formed a joint stock company. Six years later, the business was handed over to the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer in order to transform the various historic treasures. The collection of individual buildings was eventually, in 1907, incorporated into neo-baroque Grandhotel Pupp.
Years 1922-1923 were the climax of construction and modernization of the entire hotel. Every guestroom was remodeled to include its own en-suite bath. Yet the biggest achievement was before the second World War, when the Pupp family was finally able to buy the last of the required buildings, the so-called House of God’s Eye known today as Café Pupp.
In 1950, the hotel was renamed to Grandhotel Moscow, but in 1989 returned back to its original grandeur and its traditional name, Grandhotel Pupp.
Grandhotel Pupp, a charter member of Historic Hotels Worldwide since 2011, dates back to 1701.