Check Availability
Modify/Cancel Reservations
More Search OptionsReturn to Check Availability Console

Fairmont Peace Hotel

History: 
    Fairmont Peace Hotel
 in ShanghaiHistory: 
    Fairmont Peace Hotel
 in Shanghai

History

The glamorous Fairmont Peace Hotel is a brilliantly reimagined landmark hotel that sparkles with spectacular vibrancy. As a landmark in Shanghai for over 80 years, the Fairmont Peace Hotel has enjoyed a prime location, esteemed guests, and dozens of hospitality awards. Built in the Chicago School design with Gothic style, Fairmont Peace Hotel is divided into two buildings, appropriately named the North and South buildings. It overlooks the Bund, a famous waterfront in central Shanghai that is considered a symbol of the city.

The hotel consists of two buildings divided by Nanjing Road. The North Building was originally called Sassoon House, the construction of which began in 1926. Prominent British businessman Victor Sassoon was the first owner of the 10-story building, which was designed by Palmer and Turner Architects Limited. It was the first high-rise building built by Victor Sassoon, who would go on to have a large real estate empire, and was one of the first high-rise buildings in the Eastern Hemisphere. The entirety of the hotel took up almost 120,000 square feet of floor space, with the 10th floor being Sassoon’s personal penthouse.

The fourth through ninth floors housed what was known as the Cathay Hotel, which opened in 1929, while banks and shops leased the first few floors until 1949. The grand hotel was known for its distinctive, copper-sheathed roof, white-Italian-marble flooring, and Lalique glass artwork. Politicians, important Chinese officials, celebrities, and other guests of note stayed at the Cathay, like Charlie Chaplin and Bernard Shaw. The popular Old Jazz Bar featured six veteran musicians who also toured the U.S. and Asia. They became the basis for the film As Time Goes By, by Uli Gaulke. Some of the offices at the hotel were used by the Municipal Finance Committee after the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949. By 1952, the Municipal Government had taken the building over, but was its own hotel again by 1956. During the subsequent Cultural Revolution, the Gang of Four used the hotel as their headquarters.

In juxtaposition, the South Building has history dating all the way back to the 1850s. Built with a Renaissance-style exterior, it was called the Central Hotel. It was revamped by the early 1900s, became the Palace Hotel in 1903 and was the tallest building on Nanjing Road. It also featured two elevators, a first for Shanghai. During World War II, it was occupied by the Japanese Army, before housing the Municipal Construction Department 1952-1965. Finally, it was reclaimed as a hotel, this time as a wing of the Peace Hotel in 1965.

Nearly 80 years after it opened, the Fairmont Peace Hotel was closed for an extensive renovation and refurbishment in 2007. The reopening in 2010 revealed a dramatic revitalization of both the interior and exterior, including the guest rooms, lobby, dining areas, entertainment venues, and guest facilities.

Fairmont Peace Hotel, a member of Historic Hotels Worldwide since 2018, dates back to 1929.


Close

International Numbers

Austria 08000706176
Belgium 080081830
France 805542721
Germany 8007241217
Ireland 1800995320
Italy 800979444
Netherlands 08000200956
Norway 80054304
Spain 900814719
Switzerland 0800001798
UK 8009179622
Book by Phone: +1 866 670 3764
International
Best Rate Guarantee


It appears you are using an older web browser! While using our site, you may encounter some trouble along the way. For PC users, we recommend upgrading to the latest version of Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Firefox. For Mac users, we recommend the latest version of Safari, Firefox, or Google Chrome.