Check Availability
Modify/Cancel Reservations
More Search OptionsReturn to Check Availability Console

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

History: 
    Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
 in AmsterdamHistory: 
    Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
 in Amsterdam

History

The history of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam dates all the way back to the early 15th century. In 1411, two convents began residing in the structure that is now The Grand Amsterdam. Convents and monasteries lined the Oudezijds Voorburgwal during the late Medieval Age, as Amsterdam emerged as a bastion for Western Catholicism. As such, the two convents continued to use the site for the next couple hundred years. However, as the Protestant Reformation spread throughout the city during the 1500s, government officials confiscated the buildings for more civic-minded purposes.

Thus, in 1578, the city allowed for the location’s transformation into a hotel called the “Lodgement voor Princen en Groote Heeren” (Lodging for Princes and Gentlemen of Standing). Later renamed the “Princenhof,” the buildings hosted some of the most esteemed guests in European society for the next 69 years. Dutch royalty lodged at the Princenhof frequently, including Prince William the Silent, as well as his sons, Prince Maurice of Nassau and Prince Frederik Hendrik. A French queen named Maria de Medici also stayed at the Princenhof, while she worked to resolve a familial dispute with her son, King Louis XIII.

The city briefly abandoned the Princenhof in 1647, when it built a new royal lodge called the Oudezjds Herenlogement (Old Side Hostel for Gentlemen). But the buildings served as the temporary City Hall from 1652 to 1655 after the first one burnt down. At the same time, the Dutch Admiralty had long desired to use the buildings as their headquarters. So once the city vacated the buildings again in 1655, the Admiralty moved in and remained at the site for the next two centuries. The Dutch Admiralty heavily renovated the buildings during this period, adding new brick walls and a wide façade to the front of the location.

When the armies of Napoleon occupied the Netherlands during the Napoleonic Wars, the buildings changed hands again. Several years into the French occupation of the country, Napoleon Bonaparte installed his brother, Louis, as the reigning monarch of the Netherlands. Louis fell in love with the City Hall in Dam Square, seizing it for his personal palace. City officials returned to the now abandoned Princenhof, using it as City Hall once more. After the defeat of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo, city officials decided to keep City Hall at the Princenhof. City Hall then remained at the Princehof buildings for the next 180 years.

During the late 20th century, city officials moved City Hall for a final time to a new building in Dam Square. As such, the Princenhof site remained vacant for the next several years. However, in 1992, the buildings obtained a new lease on life. Sofitel acquired the location, which it transformed into The Grand Amsterdam hotel. Upon completing a series of significant renovations during the late 2000s, Sofitel relaunched The Grand Amsterdam under its premiere Legends brand. In 2017, The Grand celebrated its 25th anniversary to great acclaim: the hotel won 26 different awards that year for its renowned hospitality and service.

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, a member of Historic Hotels Worldwide since 2018, dates back to 1578


Close

International Numbers

Austria 08000706176
Belgium 080081830
France 805542721
Germany 8007241217
Ireland 1800995320
Italy 800979444
Netherlands 08000200956
Norway 80054304
Spain 900814719
Switzerland 0800001798
UK 8009179622
Book by Phone: +1 866 670 3764
International
Best Rate Guarantee


It appears you are using an older web browser! While using our site, you may encounter some trouble along the way. For PC users, we recommend upgrading to the latest version of Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Firefox. For Mac users, we recommend the latest version of Safari, Firefox, or Google Chrome.